Friday, March 5, 2010

recent media intake

Music:

The Bravery
The Bravery

I was introduced to this band on Pandora, with the track Unconditional. Then I found the song Honest Mistake. So I gave the album a chance. My overall impression is ho hum. It’s ok but not awe inspiring. It’s a little OK Go with some Racounteurs sprinkled in. Found a couple of tracks that I liked, in particular PSA and Rites of Spring. Tyrant has a great chill out vibe. I would check it out because I like the direction they are going.

Morrissey
Years of Refusal

To be honest, I didn’t even know Moz had a new album out. This album had a Southpaw Grammar feel to it. My favorite track is All You Need is Me. Snarky and driving guitar are always a big hit. Black Cloud was pretty good as well. The album was typical Morrissey, so take that for what it’s worth.


Movies:

Zachary, A Letter to a Son about his Father

Jeff from the Totally Rad Show mentioned this movie so I picked it up at the library. For a while Dancer in the Dark was the most depressing movie I had ever seen. This blows it away. If you want to be horrified, inspired, crushed, angry, sick and want to have a full box of tissue cry, this is the movie. I don’t want to say anything about it, other than it is a documentary about how one person’s life can touch so many. Please see this movie as soon as possible. It will move you in a way that is impossible to describe.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

OK. Downey was great as narrator but didn’t really like his character too much. Kilmer could have done a lot more. The story was convoluted to me and took away from everything. Also, the movie seemed like it tried to be too cool, too aware of itself. If you’ve got 90 minutes to kill, this will work for you.


Books:

On The Road, Jack Kerouac

If I read it before, I don’t remember a single thing. Maybe it was Dharma Bums. Strange reading a book with no chapters and no paragraphs. Just one adventure, one event after another. I finally put it down. It made me want to ditch my life and just experience. I’ve done that in the past and I already know where that path goes. Also, to get in the vibe of the book, I would have get over myself and be able to beg and also have people send me money to keep my great American journey going. Don’t see that happening.

Legends of the Dark Knight, “Prey” Issues #11-15.

The story arc deals with Dr. Hugo Strange and his psychological battle with a young Batman. Batman has to fight on several fronts: police, crime and public relations. I have been trying to develop a screenplay for the next Batman movie. My original idea was Zsasz but it wasn’t working out for me. Moench’s story would be a great platform, but I would get rid of the Catwoman subplot though.

No comments:

Post a Comment