Thursday, March 3, 2011

Feature Presentation--Too Busy for TV

Between work, preparing a sermon for our church retreat, working out and family life, I have not had much time to just veg in front of the TV. Guess that’s good and bad. But here’s what I’ve checked out over the last couple of weeks.


Spartacus: Blood and Sand

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442449/

I saw this on a preview for something and put it on hold at the library. Months later, I picked it up. I quit after the first disc. Where do I start with my criticism? I didn’t care about a single character; the graphics were over CGI’ed; the dialogue was a mix of Shakespeare, soap opera and clichés. I won’t criticize for the amount of blood. I knew that going in, although it was still a little over the top. Also the sex was gratuitous and really unnecessary. They wanted an R rated series. They got it.

Avoid like the plague.


The State (complete series)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130421/

I bought this a while ago and I’m going through it again. Love this show—love its sensibility, its characters, its attitude. It starts off a little slow, but season 2, especially episode 3, is of the highest order. I’m glad these guys burst on to the scene and then went on to other things, Reno 911 in particular. After SNL of the early 90’s, this was way better.

Check it out.


Manchester United: The Official History 1878-2002

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410292/

Watching this again, I was really struck by the Busby era. Matt Busby built a team ready to compete for domestic and European honors and lost almost all of them on that night in February, 1958. He started over and 10 years later finished the job. That is just amazing.

I also noticed how poor the 70’s and early 80’s were, with the club out in the wilderness compared to the heights of the mid 60’s. Once Fergie arrived and finally won the FA Cup in 1990, they reached the stratosphere in terms of success.

Watching the Treble year gives me goose bumps every time. What a dramatic ending to the season of a lifetime.

If you love Manchester United, a must.

If you love soccer, you should really check it out.

If you want to be able to talk to me, watch it.

Everybody, take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment